Contains Art studio vacancy: 1 to 6 month lets
View by category
View by county
Image Credit: Contains Art
Contains Art aims to support the development of creative practitioners by providing low-cost studio space and access to project space that can respond to the diverse needs of contemporary practice. It aims to form a creative hub that can foster and support artists working in West Somerset. It aims to be welcoming to visitors and to develop local audiences for creative outputs.
The rent of £110 per calendar month includes:
• Buildings insurance and maintenance
• Electricity (for heating, lighting – if high usage equipment is proposed a contribution may be negotiated)
• Wireless broadband
• Limited car parking (2 studio artists’ cars are permitted on the East Quay at any one time so available by negotiation and cooperation with other studio tenants)
• Access to toilets and water supply in Watchet Harbour Marina building
• Direct sales opportunities through Contains Art events.
• Business rates – tenants are responsible for individual business rates (in practice the space qualifies for exemption under current rules, but annual application is required).
• Contents and Public Liability Insurance – Contains Art carries liabilities insurances, but it is a condition of our policy, and of the head lease from West Somerset DC that all tenants must have public liability insurance to £5million. Contains Art accepts no responsibility for studio contents and art work.
Contains Art wishes to celebrate diversity of practice and welcomes applications from artists working in a range of media. However please note that practical issues place some limitations on forms of practice that can be safely accommodated.
• There is no plumbed water supply to the studios.
• Electricity is limited to a domestic supply level, kilns and other machinery requiring a threephase supply cannot be accommodated.
If you are not familiar with Contains Art please ask for an appointment to visit the studios if you wish and/or contact us to discuss suitability of your practice to the premises and location.
Criteria Contains Art studio tenants should:
• Be committed to an ongoing creative practice
• Have a clear vision for the development of their work
• Be willing to make an active contribution to Contains Art
• Be willing to engage with the creative and wider community in West Somerset
• Be willing to be flexible and cooperative during a period of change and development.
Please contact [email protected] for further information, expression of interest, and details of the application process. Or call on 07583368072.
19 Feb 2018
Visual Arts South West is delighted to welcome three new members to its steering group: Zoe Li, Emily Bull and Lara Goodband.
Why the arts make us more employable, and why the creative industries are our international economic life-raft
05 Mar 2018
The Cultural Learning Alliance and The Edge Foundation have released Briefing Paper No. 2: Employability & Enterprise: Why the arts make us more employable, and why the creative industries are our international economic life-raft.
06 Apr 2018
Bristol-based Action Hero – the collaboration of live art and performance makers Gemma Paintin and James Stenhouse – have this week become an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation (NPO) and announced their ethical working policy.
01 Jun 2018
Visual Arts South West is pleased to announce the appointment of two co-Chairs to its Steering Group, succeeding the outgoing Chair, Helen Legg, Director, Spike Island, who is taking up the role of Director at Tate Liverpool.
14 Jan 2019
DIY arts is a peer to peer network for people in Bristol who work in the cultural sector to share thinking, advocate our needs to funders and policy makers and support each other.
21 Dec 2018
The Holburne Museum and The Edge at the University of Bath have been awarded a three year grant from the John Ellerman Foundation to fund a new shared post of Contemporary Art Curator.
30 Jan 2019
Visual Arts South West (VASW) is pleased to announce the appointment of Paula Orrell to the role of Network Manager. Paula will take up the position in April 2019.