Call out for Artist / Educator
View by category
View by county
Image Credit: Dafydd Jones, Butlins, Minehead Somerset. Summer 1979
Deadline Friday 14 June 2019
Budget Production budget available
Hours 10 x 2.5 hr sessions
Interview Date 19/06/2019
CALL OUT: Artist / Educator
DEADLINE: 17.00 Fri, 14 Jun 2019
Curated by Val Williams and Karen Shepherdson, Seaside: Photographed is a major touring exhibition, which will examine the relationship between photographers, photography, and the British seaside from the 1850s to the present. Seaside: Photographed looks at the way that the British seaside has become a vivid background to the drama of everyday life, seen through the acute, critical and engaged visions of 70 photographers from the UK, USA and Europe.
Seaside: Photographed opened at Turner Contemporary on 25 May 2019. Supported by Arts Council England’s Strategic Touring Fund, it travels to the John Hansard Gallery in Southampton and the Grundy Art Gallery in Blackpool, before arriving at Newlyn Art Gallery & The Exchange in July 2020.
Each of these four coastal galleries will develop outreach programmes working with early years children and their families, reflecting the interests and concerns of their particular location. Newlyn Art Gallery & The Exchange’s programme will respond to an article printed in The Guardian in 2016 Behind Cornwall’s Sea and Surf in which Nicola Slawson suggests that although “Treneere is only a mile away but parents, unable to afford the ice cream and bus journey to get tired children home, avoid the outing. It may as well be 100 miles away.”
Newlyn Art Gallery & The Exchange is looking for an experienced Artist Educator to work with three groups from WILD Young Parents Project, working with both mothers and children to investigate their relationship to the coastal resorts closest to them in West Penwith, between 9 – 25 July 2019.
- Understand the value of collaborative working.
- Demonstrate experimentation and investigation within your practice.
- Demonstrate an interest and engagement in other peoples’ ideas.
- Intuitively support participants in developing their own voice and approach.
- Have experience of working with vulnerable, hard to reach young people
- Be available to deliver nine sessions in West Penwith.
- Assist with evaluation of the project with a commitment to reflective practice.
- Have public liability insurance [Minimum cover £2m] and be willing to undertake an enhanced DBS check with a commitment to child protection.
- Represent Newlyn Art Gallery & The Exchange positively throughout the project.
Candidates should send:
- Images of up to six pieces of projects you have led relevant to this project, including a short explanatory statement with each piece.
- A completed Application-Form.
- A completed Diversity & Equal Opportunity Monitoring Form.
Please send your application and supporting documents/website links to
Cat Gibbard [email protected]
The application form plays an important part in the selection process, both as a tool for helping us to shortlist candidates for interview and as a basis for the interview itself. Any decision to shortlist you for interview will be based solely upon the information you supply on your application form.
DEADLINE: 17.00 Fri, 14 Jun 2019
INTERVIEWS: Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview on Wed 19 Jun 2019
If you need any assistance completing your form, or need materials provided in an alternative format please call 01736 363715 or email [email protected]
Newlyn Art Gallery & The Exchange takes promoting the equality of opportunity seriously and is committed to building a diverse workforce. All our vacancies are advertised to ensure that everyone has access to opportunities within the galleries. The process of applying for one of our vacancies is the best way to show how your skills and experience meet the requirements of the specific role advertised.
We can therefore only accept applications through this process and cannot accept CVs.
|Artist Fee: Outreach||£1,000 based on 10 x 2.5 hr sessions|
|The project has a separate resource budget to be managed by Newlyn Art Gallery Ltd|
|Closing Date||17.00 Fri, 14 Jun 2019|
|Shortlisted Artist Interviews||Wed, 19 Jun 2019|
15 Apr 2019
Endelienta offers a short residency to a composer, a writer and a visual artist.